Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Piles, prevention and management


Few years ago I had a minor case of piles and I’m going to tell you my experience of this painful and disturbing condition.

Hemorrhoids are vascular structures in the anal canal. They act as a cushion of arterio-venous channels and connective tissue which helps with stool control. They may become swollen or inflamed and this condition is called piles.

When I was preparing for an exam few years ago I was spending up to16 hours a day sitting in an uncomfortable chair and I ate mostly junk food. Several days of this regimen gave me a small but painful external hemorrhoid. I could feel dull pain all day long which got worse if I was trying to sit upright. The worse thing was that this pain would surge at least several times per night and I would wake up with a jump.

Now, if you are experiencing similar symptoms it is very important to get checked up by a doctor. There are several serious conditions that have symptoms similar to piles, such as cancer. Only a trained medical professional can tell the difference.

Back then I did a lot of research online and what everyone said is that the main reason for piles is increase intra-abdominal pressure. This is primarily caused by straining to pass the stool and this is the number one thing to look after. You need to stop straining. So, the first thing to do is to make sure you stool is easy to pass. Change your diet to include plenty of fiber and vegetables. Stay off from refined sugars, processed foods, fried potatoes, rice and other things that make your stool hard. The next important thing is the posture of your body when you pass the stool. Piles are quite rare in countries where squat toilets are used. It is much easier to pass the stool when you are squatting. If you have to use the toilet try to bend as much as you can, bring your chin down to your knees and relax. Do not read newspapers! The more upright you are the harder it is to pass the stool. Finally avoid sitting on uncomfortable chairs or sitting for very long periods of time, get plenty of exercise.

By following these advices I got rid of piles in five days.

No comments:

Post a Comment